Swindon Town 1 Bradford City 0

Last updated : 25 September 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Midfielder Sam Igoe was ten-man Swindon's hero with a moment of magic late on to earn his side a deserved 1-0 win against Bradford at the County Ground.

Andy King's side had endured a frustrating afternoon in front of goal and had striker Sam Parkin sent off for violent conduct before Igoe stepped up to clinch the points with a magnificent 35-yard free kick.

The former Portsmouth and Reading star had no hesitation in going for goal and his right foot shot flew past goalkeeper Paul Henderson and into the top right hand corner much to the delight of the majority of the 5,189 crowd.

Swindon looked as if they would have to settle for a point after spurning a series of good chances and their problems in front of goal increased when Parkin was dismissed in the 84th minute for a vicious lunge at Bradford full-back Darren Holloway.

Swindon's leading scorer aimed a wild kick at the defender after his run on goal had once again been thwarted and referee Clive Penton was left with little option but to brandish his red card.

Parkin had later wasted two great opportunities to add to his tally of four goals so far this season. The striker blasted over the crossbar when unmarked in the 35th minute, then headed against the woodwork 16 minutes from time from just six yards out.

Stefani Miglioranzi had seen a well struck shot saved by Henderson in the 24th minute and Bradford were grateful to full-back Wayne Jacobs for clearing off the line from Sean O'Hanlon's follow up.

The visitors' best efforts of the first half came on 29 minutes when Dele Adebola spotted goalkeeper Rhys Evans off his line, but the striker sent his lob well wide of goal.

The introduction of substitute Dean Windass five minutes after the interval led to Bradford posing more threat on Swindon's goal and the striker went close three times in five minutes before Igoe's late goal.

Windass shot wide when unmarked at the far post just seconds after forcing a good save from Evans and was then was unlucky to see a 20-yard free kick smack against the right-hand post before rebounding to safety.