Bradford City 1 Bournemouth 3

Last updated : 20 September 2008 By Footymad Previewer
League Two leaders Bradford City suffered a stunning home defeat at the hands of a Bournemouth side fired up by Bantams' old boy Jimmy Quinn.

The former Bradford striker was celebrating his side's first league win of the season after three well-taken goals burst City's early season bubble.

The Bantams looked far from league leaders as the Cherries dominated the early exchanges and their free-scoring attack struggled to find a way through the visitors' well-drilled defence.

City's pacy wingers Joe Colbeck and Omar Daley were well shackled for the first 35 minutes and Bournemouth's hard work was rewarded with a deserved goal six minutes before the interval.

Sammy Igoe, who had tormented the Bradford back-line, stretched the home side again after a spell of City pressure and when he floated over a perfect right-wing cross midfielder Danny Hollands powered home a header from six yards out to put the South Coast side in front.

The Bradford spirits were raised by a couple of dangerous Daley runs as the first half drew to a close, but it was a mistake by experienced midfielder Darren Anderton which gifted them an equaliser just minutes before the break.

Colbeck, who sparked the come-from-behind win over Exeter last weekend, pounced on the former England international's mis-control 25 yards out and after surging past centre-half Jason Pearce, the City winger let fly with a right-foot drive from 14 yards which found the net off the inside of a post.

The strike seemed to galvanise City and only a brave Shaun Cooper block stopped Daley in his tracks as he dribbled his way past four defenders in the dying seconds of the half.

Bradford failed to make the most of the let-off as they were caught cold again at the start of the second half.

Cherries' midfielder Marvin Bartley, who impressed throughout, opened up the City defence with another surging run down the right-flank and when he picked out striker Jeff Goulding with a slide-rule cross, he made no mistake from eight yards with a well-struck shot.

City huffed and puffed in a bid to find a way back, but they lacked the cutting edge of recent games and it was no real surprise when Bournemouth struck again.

Full-back Warren Cummings had showed his quality with a series of dangerous dead-balls and centre-half Pearce took full advantage when he got away from his marker to head home a 70th minute corner.

City hit the bar late on and had a shout for handball waived away, but in truth it never looked like being their day.