Bradford City 1 Burnley 2

Last updated : 29 March 2004 By Footymad Previewer

A late strike by Ian Moore clinched the points for Burnley in a thrilling basement battle.

Until Moore's 90th minute far post header went into the net, this Roses battle looked like ending in stalemate, thanks to two key second-half moments.

The first was in the 75th minute when Bradford's Danny Cadamarteri could not believe his eyes as visiting keeper Brian Jensen brilliantly got a hand on his ferociously struck shot to somehow keep it out.

Then three minutes later, Burnley thought they had clinched it when David May steered the ball home from a Neil Wood free-kick but was ruled offside.

With both sides desperately needing maximum points, the match could easily have become a sterile affair.

Instead, it was more like a cup-tie and Bradford must be cursing their luck, because they dominated for long periods.

An inspired display by Cadamarteri was the key to a Bantams performance that should have brought them at least a point.

Even in the dying stages, they came close to breaking through a panic-stricken Burnley defence, Nicky Summerbee curling a shot inches wide of the post.

It was very much against the run of play when the visitors took the lead after eight minutes, ex-Valley Parade favourite Robbie Blake finding the net in style.

A move that began with Richard Chaplow looked to be harmless enough when he fed Glen Little, but the winger's perfectly timed pass allowed Blake to run on and slam the ball past keeper Alan Combe.

Bradford could have levelled things four minutes later when Summerbee's cross cleared Michael Branch and fell invitingly for Peter Atherton at the far post, but he scuffed his effort and the chance was gone.

City deservedly equalised on 18 minutes with a stunning strike by Cadamarteri.

A superb 40-yard cross-field ball by Summerbee landed straight in the path of the former Everton striker, who steadied himself before rifling an unstoppable shot into the net.

The home side were growing in confidence now and David Wetherall flashed a header just wide from a Summerbee free-kick.

Blake continued to be the visitor's most potent threat and he curled a 34th minute free-kick just wide of goal.

The tension surrounding this encounter was clearly getting to some of the players and Wayne Jacobs was booked for bringing down Blake. Then, Little and Atherton were spoken to by the referee following a confrontation.